Sugar, in all its forms, has a profound effect on our health (consider the rate of diabetes in our country today). When our taste buds become compromised from chemotherapy, other medications or other reasons, the ability to taste "sweet" is often the only thing left. It’s critical to understand the effect sugar has on health and cancer. Let The Holstic Kitchen teach you how to safely take advantage of the taste buds that work, while managing sugars’ negative effects, to promote healing and the chances of survival.
Give your body a fighting chance and cut out as many manmade chemicals as you possibly can from your foods, your household products, your personal enviromment, in general. This is a big deal. Our immune systems, when in perfect condition, are designed to filter out toxins, but if your immune system is compromised in any way (under attack by cancer or cancer treatment or an auto-immune disorder is a short list of extreme conditions), or if you have been exposed over time to cause a build up of toxins) you need to know why choosing organic can make a difference in your health. Buying organic is too expensive, you say? If you don’t feel your health is worth the additional expense, you MUST read the blog topic on stress and on plastic storage containers.
Grain fed animal protein (meat, poultry, dairy, eggs)
- higher in fat
- unhealthy proportion of Omega 6 fatty acids
- zero fiber
- requires more energy to digest
- often raised with hormones and antibiotics
If you’re not quite ready to give up animal protein completely, try reducing your consumption to 20% (the remaining 80% of your diet from vegetable sources, including whole grains, nuts and seeds). When you do eat animal protein, make sure it is grass fed livestock and flax fed poultry, to ensure a better balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. To learn more about why this is so critical, click here.
Remember the ads for margarine, " It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature"? It was a cute marketing campaign, but more true than anyone (may have) thought, at the time. When you start introducing artificial compounds in the highly intricate systems of our bodies, there’s no predicting the long term effects it can have. Many times, if the body doesn’t recognize it, it cannot determine what to do with it and so it just stores it somewhere. Artificial colorings are an example of this, as is Acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol). If you’re battling cancer or some other critical illness, remove artificial ingredients from your intake – your body already has enough to deal with!
The endocrine system regulates our hormones, which work in a very delicate state of harmony. Eating or drinking foods that were raised with growth hormones for the sake of fattening or hurrying the process, means that you are eating those same hormones. ESPECIALLY if you have a hormone related cancer, you should avoid such treated foods as is your life depends on it!
Another double edged sword, fats can be healthy or fats can be very very damaging to our health (to say nothing of our figures). You must know which fats to eat daily, where to get them and which fats to avoid. Learn more…